Become a JFG Docent
JFG is recruiting enthusiastic individuals who would like to enhance their garden experience through volunteer service as docents. JFG docents primarily lead public and private tours of the garden, which involves being familiar with several aspects of the garden. This includes learning about JFG garden history, Japanese gardening principles, assorted tidbits about Japanese culture, and other topics in order to properly engage with a variety of guests. Docents act as ambassadors of JFG, allowing increased visibility of JFG through educational outreach at schools, but also within the garden through Docent Dialogues, where docents are available to answer guests’ questions about the garden or help explain more about the garden.
• Completion of the ten-week docent training program
- Sundays, starting September 8, 2019 (schedule subject to change)
• A minimum one-year commitment to guiding tours
- Typical schedule is one-hour tours; twice a month
• Attendance at monthly docent meetings
• Active JFG membership
- Can be purchased during docent training
Qualified prospective docents are:
• Motivated, self-learners
• Flexible and passionate about sharing JFG with guests
• Able to interact with a variety of individuals
Docent positions are intended for individuals over the age of 18. Docents must be able to adhere by all JFG volunteer policies and Docent Program policies. Acceptance into the docent program is contingent upon satisfactory completion of a background check.
For more information, contact Alexis (Visitor Engagement & Education Coordinator) at email@example.com
Banner photo by Dominic Nepomuceno