In 1957, the San Diego – Yokohama Sister City Society was established to promote cultural exchange, friendship, and world peace through better understanding. The Society has sponsored numerous successful exchanges throughout the years promoting the arts, business, and culture to name a few. The Japanese Friendship Garden (JFG) in Balboa Park and Yokohama’s Sankeien continue the celebration of the cities’ relationship by providing supplemental images for the other’s photo contest. Alongside images from Yokohama’s Sankeien, we want you to share your experiences at the Japanese Friendship Garden.
Sankeien translates to English as three scene garden and characterizes both Japanese gardens in Yokohama and San Diego with water, pastoral, and mountain features that offer inspiring sceneries and unique finds. Submitting artists are encouraged to pace themselves during their stroll in JFG, take note of aesthetics, and share their experiences in JFG through still images. Selected artists will have their printed work exhibited at JFG’s Exhibit Hall and digitally on JFG’s website from July 27-Octber 28, 2018 with an opening reception on July 26, 2018.
- Photo submissions by e-mail only firstname.lastname@example.org
- Image is captured inside JFG, original, and captured by submitting photographer.
- Image must have been created within the past two years and not previously exhibited in San Diego.
- Selected work must be printed and framed, matted or mounted, and ready to hang for exhibition. Maximum frame size 24″ x 30″, no exceptions.
- Frames and mattes will not be provided by JFG.
How to Submit Files
- Maximum 3 images per entry per contestant
- Submit in JPEG format
o Longest dimension should be 1200 pixels wide
Maximum File Size: 2 MB
o File names: First initial + Last Name + entry number (1, 2, 3).jpg Example: JSmith1.jpg
- Image dimensions (when printed – Height/Width)
- Medium (i.e. silver gelatin, inkjet paper, or alternative surfaces)
- File submissions can be e-mailed to email@example.com - JFG reserves the right to reject works for any reason.
- June 5: Begin call to artists and online submissions.
- July 1, 5:00pm: Image submission deadline
- July 10: Accepted artists notified by email
- July 23-24: Artists deliver framed work to JFG between 10 am and 4 pm
- July 26 : Opening reception @ JFG, 4:30-6:30pm
- July 27-Oct 28 : Exhibition Dates, 10:00am to 7:00 pm
- October 29: Pick up images from JFG between 10:00am to 4:00pm
Entries are submitted at artist’s own risk. JFG is not responsible for the loss of or damage to works. Accepted work must remain on display for the total period of the exhibition.
E-mail inquiries to Emiko at firstname.lastname@example.org