Volunteer at the Garden!
Volunteers are vital to the success of the Garden and are an integral part of the education program. Please join us and make a difference in our community! There are many fun opportunities available to participate involving varying degrees of hourly commitment.
- 10% discount on any level of membership
- Invitation to our annual Volunteer Appreciation Dinner
- Enjoy the camaraderie of fellow volunteers
- Learn about Japanese culture and gardens
- Build experience in various skill sets, including administration, gardening, and more!
Please note that the Garden does not accept court referrals.
SEASONAL VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
Please check back at a later date.
REGULAR VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
- Garden Assistant
- The most relaxing volunteer job in San Diego! Assist our gardeners by pulling weeds, watering plants, and performing various other duties under the gardeners' supervision. No previous gardening experience required and scheduling is flexible.
General Office Assistant
Help out with random tasks around the office - can include anything from scanning files to preparing crafts to setting up for an event!
Assist with various duties in a specific department. Departments include:
Events and Marketing
Creating promotional material, promoting garden events, assisting with marketing research and surveys
Record-keeping on classes and programs, developing and running cultural activities
Answering initial inquiries of clients interested in renting the garden. Experience in administrative work and event coordinating required.
Stuffing envelopes, data entry, conducting surveys, assisting with bi-monthly newsletter
Volunteer and Outreach
Record-keeping on volunteers, participating in cultural outreach events
Library archiving, archive research, installing and de-installing exhibits, creating exhibit promotional material. Experience in the arts or as an art major required.
For more information, e-mail Sara Shah at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (619) 232-2781.
CLOSED VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
Check back at a later date to see if any of these positions have opened!
Take the Japanese Friendship Garden’s outreach curriculum to San Diego Schools
INDEX OF SEASONAL VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
- Seijin Shiki (coming of age ceremony)
March - Cherry Blossom Festival
April - Membership Tea
June - Volunteer Appreciation Dinner
July - Summer Camp (Min commitment of 15 hrs/week)
August - O-Bon Festival - Annual Gala
October - San Diego Maker Faire - Halloween Family Day
November - Shichi Go San (coming of age ceremony)
December - December Nights