The Japanese Friendship Garden is a highly interactive form of art where the beholder is permanently summoned to participate in the creation of meaning. One is thus drawn into a dialogue with the composition, and at the same time with oneself.
The Garden is a place of meditation and contemplation, so walk slowly, relax, and take in the quiet environment. In order to preserve the beauty of the Japanese Friendship Garden for all to enjoy, we ask that Garden visitors respect the following Garden Etiquette Guidelines.
- No food is allowed in the Garden. Please seal all food containers when inside the Garden.
- No pets are allowed in the Garden, except for guide/service dogs with certification.
- The Garden is a non-smoking environment. Smoking is defined as inhaling, exhaling, burning or carrying a lighted or vapor-producing tobacco product. Tobacco is defined as all tobacco-derived or containing products, including, but not limited to, cigarettes (clove, bidis, kreteks), electronic cigarettes, cigars and cigarillos, hookah smoked products, and oral tobacco (spit, and spitless, smokeless, chew, snuff).
- Please stay on the path at all times. Walking on mondo grass areas in the upper and lower part of the canyon is strictly prohibited.
- Please do not climb trees, rocks or enter waterfall/pond areas. Any altering of the landscape (i.e. moving rocks, standing in the koi pond, throwing coins in the koi pond..etc.) is strictly prohibited.
- To maintain the quiet and serenity of the garden, please refrain from using loud voices and shouting. Running is prohibited.
- Children must be supervised by an adult at all times.
- Please do not feed koi, unless participating in koi feeding with designated Koi Club volunteers.
- Please put all trash into designated trash receptacles.
The Japanese Friendship Garden reserves the right to ask a visitor to leave for inappropriate or offensive behavior. Visitors will be held liable for any damage to the Garden property.
Wheelchair and Shuttle Service
For those in need of wheelchair accommodation or shuttle service from the lower garden, please contact us at (619) 232-2721.
Please visit our ‘Photography’ page to reserve any planned and/or professional photo and video sessions. Contact (619) 232-2721 Ext. 1500 or email@example.com for a Reservation Form and information on our policies and fees.